10 Things Before You Pay The Deposit
OK you have looked round lots of show houses and found one you like. The representative is now asking for a $500, or more, deposit. Do you pay straight away?……..Well you are currently in your best position to negotiate so don’t rush! ………….Here is what I would do next:
- Tell them you need a week to think about it.
- For the house you like get copies of all the Floor Plans, facade plans, specification and standard list of inclusions*.
- Walk through the Show House again checking what fixtures and fittings are extras so you understand the difference between what you will get and what you might have thought you will get.
- Take them home and go through every room one by one to help you decide if the rooms including fixtures and fittings are what you want.
- Changes at this stage can include things like:
- Make a list of all the changes you want.
- Go back to the representative and ask them to price the changes.
- Remember that there will still be extra costs such as site works, fences paths etc. See “What Will It Cost?” for typical details.
- Make sure you will be able to afford the estimated price, with some extra for things you forgot! You don’t want to be paying a loan on a Ghost House.
- If you are happy with the price pay the deposit and you are on your way.
* Once you have got the plans don’t think you can shop them around other builders.
For similar posts see Starting Off
Choosing a House . . . A new E-book for only $4 to help you buy your new house