Plumbing Industry Problems
I have previously talked about Regulation Failing the Public . . . but how bad is it?
Some Statistics on Plumbing Failures
Well I have just been reading last years report from the Victorian Building Authority.
In that year they completed 7,573 audits of which 1,813 failed.
That is 23.9% (or almost 1 in 4)
In that year 833,860 Compliance Certificates were issued . . . so if that failure is extrapolated over all the plumbing jobs that means it is probable that around 200,000 plumbing jobs during 20014-2015 in Victoria have problems.
I don’t know about you, but with those figures I’m not going to be very confident that the plumbing in a new house has been done correctly.
The 5 Most Common Plumbing Failures
If you want to know what to look for here are the most common reasons for an Audit Failure.
- Hot water not arriving at the tap at the correct temperature.
- Unsatisfactory drainage installation in unstable ground.
- Unacceptable insulation around hot water pipes.
- Appropriate backflow prevention devices not installed. (This protects you by stopping contaminated water entering the system after a pipe burst)
- Use on inappropriate components.