Why does the builders standard outside light fitting seem to be a floodlight?
In my view they are quite unsuitable:
- A really harsh light, especially if you are looking towards it.
- A fairly limited field of illumination, so you need 2 or 3 if you want all round light.
- Typically high power use, although more modern LED floodlights are becoming available/
So what do I recommend?
I have found ‘Bunker Lights’ to be a great light source for my backyards.
This is the one in my current backyard.
I like them because:
- They are inexpensive,
- Give a soft 360 degree light,
- Water proof,
- Can be wall or soffit mounted,
- Available in a range of styles;
- and this LED example only uses 4 watts. (that’s $0.1 for 10 hours use!)
It replaced a 150 watt flood light that cost $0.04 per hour to run.
So when you go for your Selection Meeting don’t forget to specify bunker lights for your backyard/