Why I Won’t Be Getting A Sink Waste Disposal Unit
You sometimes see Sink Waste Disposal Units or Garbage disposal units in top end kitchens but I won’t be getting one for a heap of reasons:
- Initial Cost, several hundred dollars plus installation
- Ongoing power cost, the unit in this picture uses about 0.5kwatts
- Maintenance and replacement. I have even heard of them shaking the under sink plumbing apart.
- High water use to wash the debris away.
- Disposing of fats, and hard solids like bones, which makes sewer blockages more likely.
- Taking easily compostible materials from the home and passing them to a sewer where they will be contaminated and become a difficult to treat waste at the sewerage treatment plant.
I sometimes see manufacturers claim they are an eco friendly solution. . . . but they are anything but!
It is not just my opinion they are banned in many places including Switzerland and many areas of the United States.