Curb Your Power
We are currently customers of Powershop, and have decided to get involved with an interesting program they are running.
The idea is that they will tell us by SMS when they are expecting very high demand.
If we can reduce our power use during the high demand period we will get a $10 credit to offset our power bill.
Here are some of the features
- How often? . . . . . Between 2 and 10 times per year.
- How Much Notice? . . . . . May be as long as 7 days notice but could be as little as an hour.
- Time of power reduction . . . . .1 to 4 hours.
- Amount of reduction? . . . . .For solar customers like us 0.05kW for each hour of the event . . . . For non solar houses 10% or 1 kWh.
- How is it measured? . . . . . Your baseline is calculated from your smart meter readings.
The idea is that a program like this can reduce high demand blackouts.
Should be interesting and I will report back at the end of the summer.