Will a Big House Make You Happy?
Inspired by a post on www.mrmoneymustache.com
Why do you, or your spouse, want a big house?
What are you trying to buy? . . . . . . Well most people think they are buying happiness.
- Does you family really need that much room?
- How may huge parties and family gathering are you going to have?
- How long are you going to be able to bask in the ‘admiration’ of your friends?
When buying a bigger house than you really need you are just trying to buy feelings.
So how will you feel if you are:
- Paying so much in mortgage you can’t afford a holiday?
- Not having enough money to buy furniture for all those rooms?
- Have to delay retirement because you are still paying for your house?
- Hardly seeing the children because they have shut themselves away in those huge bedrooms?
- Looking at rooms that are hardly used from one year to the next?
- Worrying about how you will manage if the interest rate goes up?
Perhaps the house may become a constant drain on your happiness . . . . That’s always the risk when you buy what you would like, rather than what you need.
For more posts about planning a new home see Design