Preparing For A Safe Removal Day
One of the riskiest parts of moving house is lifting and carrying heavy items, such as furniture and packing boxes.
You don’t want to injure yourself, or damage your possessions so here is some advice.
Get A Trolley
You can buy a basic trolley for less than $50, or hire a more expensive stair climbing trolley for about the same amount.
This can be used to both carry boxes and move large items such as refrigerators.
If your furniture can be disassembled, then get the screwdriver and allen key out.
It’s going to make lifting and carrying it easier.
Taking it apart can also mean it will take up less less space on the truck.
Even if you are using removalists taking things apart, in advance, will save time. (and money if you are paying by the hour)
Reduce the Weight
Even if you can’t take it furniture apart you may be able to cut down the weight.by taking out drawers.
Empty the contents
Use smaller boxes, especially for heavy items like books.
Follow Safe Manual Handling
- Don’t try and lift more than you are comfortable with, two, or more persons to lift heavy items..
- Make sure you have a firm footing before lifting,
- Lift straight don’t twist.
- Use your legs, not your back.
- Keep your back warm. . . No builders crack on display!