One of the big signs to potential burglars that there is no one at home is a letter box stuffed with post and junk mail after its gone dark in the evening.
In a post about letter boxes I talked about minimum sizes.
After seeing a couple of larger letter boxes I can see some real advantages in thinking again about you letter box.
- Not everybody has neighbors, or nearby relatives that can clear your letter box when you are away.
- Why do most houses still have a tube for the newspaper when most newspapers now get wrapped in clingfilm and thrown from a moving car.
- A large letter box means that a week or more of post and even junk mail stays hidden and dry
- Some boxes have spring loaded flaps can trap the mail half in / half out exposing it to the weather, and the gaze of anyone passing by.
- Perhaps something like the one in this photo.
The Settling In Section contains lots more advice on what to do after you have moved in your new house