Types of New House Permits

Here is some information on the several sorts of permits that are involved before you start building a house.

Planning Permit

Sometimes called a Development Approval (DA) if you are buying a block on an existing subdivision you should already have Development Approval.

This DA will provide details of the restrictions on what you can build on your block.

If you want to do any of the following you will probably need to apply for a Planning Permit:

  • Change of use (for example farming to residential).
  • Subdivision of an existing block.
  • Substantially altering an existing building.
  • Changing any conditions of the existing permit.

Building Permit

A Building Permit is an approval that confirms that the proposed work meets the standard of the Building Regulations.

A permit is usually required for works that involve:

  • Building a New House.
  • Major alterations to an existing house.
  • Additions to an existing house (for example a Pergola or Deck).
  • Demolition of an existing house.

Road Opening Permit

A Road Opening Permit,from the Council Engineering Department is normally required to create or alter the access to a property, install service trenches, and build over a council Easement.

Sewer Build Over Permit

In many areas the sewers are controlled by a Water Authority rather than the council. If you want to build on a Sewer Easement you will require a separate permit from the Water Authority.

Want to know more? …………………….The best thing is to go down to your local council and talk to the staff there.


Once you have finished you will need an Occupancy Permit

See Restrictions for more limitations on how you develop your block


10 Things Needed For An Occupancy Permit

Did you know you can get an Occupancy Permit before your house is finished?….. Useful to know for all those owner builders who want to move in while they finish.

The point of an Occupancy permit is to protect the safety and health of people who occupy and visit the house and to enhance the amenity.

Here’s the list of things that will need to be completed before you will get a Certificate of Occupancy:

  1. Building is watertight. (roof and walls)
  2. Damp prevented. (Damp proof course OK and ground below DPC sloping away from house}
  3. Roof drainage connected to an approved point of discharge.
  4. At least the kitchen sink and one bathroom are connected and working.
  5. All handrails and balustrades installed. If you have a swimming pool the fences should also be in place. (Even if the pool is empty there is a falling hazard)
  6. Waterproofing of wet areas completed.
  7. Smoke detector/alarms installed and fully operational.
  8. Power installation completed to the satisfaction of the Electricity supply authority. (Power company’s seal on meter)
  9. If gas cooking is to be provided, the pipework is connected to the unit and the house ready for connection to the gas supply.
  10. Water supply connected to the building.

An occupancy permit is not evidence that the building complies with the provisions of Building Codes and Regulations 2006.”

See Types of New House Permits to see what permits you need before you Start