Here are some hints for your PCI Inspection
- Take your time. There is no need to rush, you have spent a lot of money and it’s your chance to get things fixed.
- Look at things from a different angle. It’s easy to miss things below eye level, when you are standing. In each room sit on the floor (or a camp stool) and have a good look around at that level. Sit on the toilets and shut the door.
- Take your shoes off and walk round in stocking feet then you can feel any problems with the floor.
- Turn on the Taps. Fill the basins, sinks, and bath to the overflow level and then check for leaks.
- Run the showers and check they drain.
- Flush the toilets, check they are securely fixed to floor and don’t leak
- Check locks Make sure privacy locks on toilets and bathrooms work
- Check switches and power points Test power points. Make sure that where you have several lightswitches on one panel the layout of switches is logical
- Check you have the electric points you selected. Make sure all the lights and power points have been fitted
- Sensor check If you have any sensor lights make sure the delay and sensitivity is correctly set. We had one in a wardrobe in our current house that went out if you stayed still for 5 seconds.
- Check for rough edges Such as on the edges of paintwork from paint drying in lumps/drips particularly window sills. Those rough edges can catch your curtain fabrics and pull threads.
- Record everything Making sure ALL of your concerns are noted down on paper, legibly and not skipped over. There may be some things where your SS will just say “Oh, that always gets done before handover”. Make sure it is written in the PCI list anyway. Unless it’s in the list, it may not get done at all.
Why not buy the PCI Guide for much more advice and extensive checklists….only $4