A small strata development is a way of retaining an existing house and providing a rear Block. It is an alternative to a Battle Axe Block.
With this type of development there are 3 Titles as follows:
- A block title, of reduced size for the original house
- A block title for the new block shown in red on the plan
- An area of common title which is jointly owned by the owners of both blocks
So what are the issues if you are thinking of buying the back block for you new home?
- If the common driveway is completed it may well get damaged during construction.
- Getting agreement about driveway repair can be difficult.
- Getting agreement from your neighbour to use the access for during construction can be difficult.
- Sharing a driveway means that your parking options are limited and can lead to disputes.
- Looking after the shared driveway is like some of the
Community Title issues.
Additional Service Costs
You will be need to bring in some, if not all, of the following service for an extra 20-30m.
- Water, could be two services if you want recycled water.
- Gas, if it is available.
- Storm water drainage, can be a problem if property drains to road.
The sewer is usually at the back of the block but check before you buy.
Additional Building Costs
I have heard additional building costs of more than $15,000 for these blocks because they are Restricted Sites
Lots more information in the anewhouse Guide to Buying a Block for only $4
See Blocks for more information on buying land.