Understandably there is a lot of talk about Bush Fires at this time of the year…….. but did you know that in a typical year there are around 13,000 domestic fires in Australia.
There are also around 80 deaths a year which fire brigades describe as preventable!
The top causes according to the NSW Fire Brigade are:
- Cooking Equipment – Why not invest in a fire extinguisher and fire blanket for your new house?
- Appliances – There appears to be a rise in tumble dryers fires so make sure you keep that lint filter clean.
- Heating Systems – If you are going for a fire or wood heater a bigger hearth is safer. For things like fan heaters make sure you keep them free from dust.
- Faulty wiring – Hopefully this shouldnt be too big a risk for your new house with modern Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers (ELCB’s).
- Air conditioning/ Refrigeration – Don’t forget to clean any filters and occasionally vacuum the back of the fridge and freezer.
Also see Your Garage – A Fire Risk?