Construction Stage 5 – Completion
After Fixing comes Completion
Its probably been a long haul but we are getting to the last lap now. Nevertheless there is still a fair bit to do including:
- Complete Plumbing Internally install taps, mixers, shower fittings, shower screens, and toilets Externally finish downspouts and fix external taps.
- Painting, Internal and External. Internal painting will be in at least two stages. The walls and ceiling will be done before fitting of electrical fittings while woodwork/doors may well be later in the process.
- Complete electrical. Fitting all the power points and batten fittings. If you are having a high level of home automation this might be quite complex and involve various stages. This stage also includes bringing a telecom line.
- Paths and Driveways Generally I have only got the front path and driveway as it cheaper to do the rest separately once we have moved in.
- Carpentry Final Fix Room doors and cabinet doors and drawers.
- Internal floor Finishes Timber floating floors or carpets.
- Clean Up Outside all rubbish will be removed and the site left flat. Inside it will probably be whats known as a builders clean – Dust brushed up and surfaces wiped, but not polished!
- Pre-Completion Inspection See PCI posts and the PCI Guide to help you through this stage
- Deal With PCI Issues Normally this should take around a week but could be longer if there are a lot of defects.
- Install Appliances This will normally include oven, hob and any other expensive appliances and the hot water service. Frequently this occurs on the day of handover.
- Hand Over Day The keys at last! Make sure you are insured from the morning of handover. Also see this post on Construction Locks
Good Luck with your New House!
Settling In has more posts about getting your new house just right
For more on stage payments see Progress Payments